Not only is this breakfast quick, delicious, and healthy, but it also allows you to sleep a few extra minutes in the morning and may even shrink your waist. I don’t know about you, but that covers all of my breakfast bases!
Even though we know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it’s usually the first thing to get axed from our to do lists in the morning. If you find yourself skipping breakfast more often than not, this is the recipe for you! Not only is it filling, but you can quickly make it the night before! Chalk full of fiber from whole grain oats, chia and flax seeds, this easy breakfast will keep you feeling fuller for longer, aid in digestion, and might even help you shed some of those unwanted pounds! And to top it all off, the creative possibilities with overnight oats are endless.
Add any combination of your favorite fruits and nuts to keep this recipe fun and exciting. My personal favorites are raspberries and toasted almonds. I really love the tartness that comes from the raspberries (full of antioxidants), and the crunch of those almonds (full of Vitamin E)! I also love topping it with my sweet almond granola, you can get the recipe HERE. It’s difficult to decide what I like most about this recipe: that it’s super healthy or that I can make it in less than 5 minutes the night before. All you have to do is mix the ingredients in a bowl, stick it in the fridge, and like magic, you wake up to a bowl of nutritious deliciousness!
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, whole grain
- 1/3 cup greek vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground flax seed
- a little over 1/2 tsp agave nectar, use sparingly
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- mason jar, for on the go eating
- fresh fruit
- sweet almond granola, get the recipe HERE
- nuts or seeds
- dark chocolate
- coconut flakes
- In a bowl, mix together rolled oats, yogurt, almond milk, chia and flax seeds, agave nectar, and vanilla extract. Taste to determine if more agave nectar should be added. This really just depends on how sweet you want it.
- If using fruit, muddle a few pieces on the bottom of the mason jar. Pour half of the oat mixture over this. Add another layer of muddled fruit. Pour the remainder of the oat mixture on top. Garnish with even more fruit.
- Cover securely with a lid in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 3 hours.
- In the morning, or whenever you choose to enjoy, just give it a quick stir. You can leave as is, or add some of your favorite crunchy toppings.
- Can last up to 48 hours in the refrigerator, but is best within the first 24.
- Easily make this vegan by replacing the greek yogurt with coconut yogurt.
- Agave nectar is 25% sweeter than sugar, be careful if this is your first time using it.
- Add crunchy toppings when you’re ready to eat it, if you add them the night before they will be soggy in the morning.
- If you have a gluten sensitivity, carefully read the label of the Greek yogurt you choose to use. Many natural dairy products are gluten-free, but some types of Greek yogurt may have gluten-containing additives.