One minute and a few ingredients are all you need to create a little magic this Halloween.
What makes this Chocolate ice cream topping so magical? Mere seconds after being poured over your bowl of ice cream, it hardens into a deliciously sweet chocolate shell. It basically turns your ice cream into a Dairy Queen dipped cone minus the cone…YUM! Now, you might be wondering why in the middle of fall I’m sharing such a cold dessert with you. This is after all baking season, where we use our ovens to not only warm our tummies, but also our homes as the days become shorter and the weather cooler. Over the past week or two, we have been having a mini heat wave here in Southern California that has sent our temperatures well into the 100s on some days. Needless to say, turning on my oven has been the furthest thing from my mind (which allowed my oven to have a little rest before all the work I have in store for it in the coming weeks).
For the past few days, however, the weather has normalized and it’s starting to feel like fall, or as much as it can feel like fall in California. Regardless of whether you live somewhere that has already experienced it’s first snowfall, or in California where we don’t even need sweaters yet, you will still enjoy this dessert (some of you might just have to be wrapped up in a blanket as you eat it to stay warm). It’s so easy to make, there is no refined sugar, it’s vegan, and you probably have all of the ingredients already in your cupboard. But the best part of this recipe is that you won’t have to go trick or treating (or take some of your children’s candy) to enjoy something sweet this Halloween. Enjoy!
“Magic” Chocolate Shell Recipe
- 2 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, refined
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/16 tsp vanilla extract
- small pinch of salt
- Place jar of coconut oil in a bowl of hot water until enough of the solid oil has become liquid and you can easily pour it out.
- As you’re waiting for the oil to melt, put cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in a small bowl. Put however many scoops of ice cream you want in a another bowl.
- Pour coconut oil into cocoa mixture and stir until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Drizzle on top of ice cream and maybe even add some sprinkles!
Here’s a little something just for you! Don’t worry about grabbing a piece of paper and pen to write down all these ingredients, just print the grocery list below!
I even left room for you to write down the rest of your grocery list! This is the list I use whenever I go to the store. It makes finding everything so easy and I never forget anything. In the Mini Meal Plan square I write down my meal plans for the entire week. To print simply right click the image below, click “Save Image As” and save to your desktop. Then, find the file on your desktop and double click it. Once it’s open all you have to do is hit print!
- To add some crunch stir in some quinoa or chia seeds.
- The water from your kitchen sink will be hot enough to melt the coconut oil.
- At most grocery stores, you’ll be able to find the coconut oil on the same aisle and shelf as other oils (olive, canola, etc). If you can’t find it there, check on the baking aisle (this is also where you will find the cocoa powder).
- Make enough for a single serving or make a larger batch and store in an airtight container at room temperature.